Filed Under (LG Shine
) by lg-phones on 21-04-2009
This method let you know how to bypass the Java security restrictions imposed on the LG Shine TU720 which require the user to accept every request for data communication, for all but Rogers signed applications. LG-Shine info
What kind of apps could benefit from this? Gmail mobile, Google Maps, Opera mobile browser, etc.
* disclaimer: this works for me but I can’t guarantee it won’t turn you phone into a pretty looking brick *
OK, here’s the procedure. The first few points are the same as for ringtones.
- Latest BitPim software from www.bitpim.org (tested with 1.0.2)
- LG phone tools software (provided in box)
- USB cable (provided in box)
- Install software listed above
- Hook up LG Shine TU720
- Launch BitPim
- BitPim should show “Other CDMA phone on COMx” (where x is the COM port being used)
- Choose Edit, Settings
- Change Phone Type to “LG-VX8700” (this is the CDMA version Shine)
- Click OK to close
- Choose View, View Filesystem
- Click the Filesystem icon
- Click the expand button beside “/”
- It will say “Retrieving” for a minute or two
- Expand to the following directory: /LGAPP/Media/Java/cert
- Right-click on the file “rogers.pol” and select “Save …”, then save it to a location on your computer
- MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE (just in case!)
- Open the file with WordPad or another editor (Notepad does not display it correctly, not recommended)
- You will notice the file is in sections. Go to the end of the file to the section headed by “domain: untrusted”
- Delete everything under that header (but leave the header alone), and replace it with everything copied from the section “domain: C=CA;O=Rogers Wireless;CN=Rogers Wireless Test Root CA”
- Save your changes (you did make a backup, right?)
- Back in BitPim, right-click on the “cert” folder and select “New File …”
- Select the new “rogers.pol” file you modified, and overwrite the existing file
- Disconnect and reboot the phone, you’re all set to go!
A few more things you might be interested in:
- You will need to re-install existing applications. The security seems to be set at install time, so whatever apps you have installed you should remove and re-install.
- Proof that Rogers is evil – look at the cingular.pol file. It allows for application signed by any trusted source. The rogers.pol file only allows for apps signed by Rogers. This goes well beyond just wanting to protect the customer from bad applications!
- This edit makes the phone completely trust any java application, so make sure you know what you’re installing before you install it!
LG cell Phone – Related Posts
Flav on 4 September, 2009 at 9:31 pm #
I followed the instruction. but now my cell freezes on the Rogers Logo. What can I do?
on 12 October, 2009 at 11:26 am #
dat sucks man jus backup the origional file
killer on 21 December, 2009 at 7:45 am #
i don’t find the file rogers.att!!
i only find att.pol i followed the instruction and i modified the file but nothing changed !!!
naveed on 20 January, 2011 at 11:50 am #
i’m connecting my phone with the usb cable. i am connecting under data service mode from the phone settings menu.
When i follow your instructions, at step 10, i get a couldn’t find phone error. When i go to settings and try to click browse besides the com port field, i get “no com port detected”.
what am i doing wrong? please help
my lg shine970modelmobile does still support thefacebook program and anyother rellated social networks it says”the certificate URL-1 midlet isnot found” how can i fix it