The new baseband ZVJ has been released and is a fixed (supposedly) version of the failed ZVH update released last September. It is 2.3.3 Gingerbread for LG Optimus S, and there is no direct root method. Today, We have successfully found a backdoor root that was previously used to root ZVH before a direct root method was found.
Caution: To root the ZVJ Baseband, you MUST start from a rooted version of ZVD or ZVH. Nothing else will work as of now.
How to root LG Optimus S ZVJ Gingerbread Steps:
1. Download the LG Optimus S ZVJ update.zip (http://www.lg-phones.org/lg-optimus-s-zvj-update-zip-download.html), and place it to the root of your SD card.
2. Rename the file to “update.zip”
3. Make sure you have enabled USB debugging on the phone, go to Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging
4. Make sure you have disabled the USB Storage Mode
5. Download the ZVH recovery package [zvhrec.zip], Unzip to top-level of your C: drive
6. From PC command prompt, run "install" to install files to sdcard, inspect for errors, start adb shell session
Install the VH recovery (do not type the $ and # symbols)
7. Apply the ZVJ update.zip
8. Perform factory reset
9. Then again make sure you are booted into ZVJ Android with USB debugging enabled and USB Storage Mode is disabled.
Download the ZVH root package [zvhroot.zip], Unzip to top-level of your C: drive. From PC command prompt, run "install" to install files to sdcard
10. From PC command prompt, make sure there are no errors, then reboot into recovery. If you have trouble with this step (ie it says operation not permitted or reboots back to Android rather than recovery), please substitute with, unplug usb cable, power down, simultaneously press and hold [Power] [Vol Dwn] [Home] until Recovery shows up, release buttons, plug in usb cable
Once booted into recovery:
From PC command prompt, start an adb shell session
Install persistent root (do not type the # symbols)
Assuming there there are no errors. You are done.
Make sure "reboot system now" is highlighted on your phone, press [Menu] to reboot into Android, and enjoy your rooted ZVJ!
LG Cell Phone – Related Posts
do I really have to disable usb storage? Do you need a separate sd card reader to do this or can I have the usb storage on while doing the install in step 6
I’m just asking because I don’t have a sd card reader and in the step it doesn’t sound as if it would be necessary to have my phone in another mode since this wouldn’t be doing anything with the phone if I did have it in usb storage mode…. Sorry… please help!
Never mind… I see how it works.
Ok… now I’m getting permission denied when I start shell session and enter “su”
Does this mean that if I haven’t rooted prior to this update there is no way I can root now?
it keeps saying permission denied when i get to “su”
follow the guide exactly and it will work. you MUST be on rooted zvd or zvh already or it wont work. the second update.zip temp roots it then when you open up adb and install persistant root then zvj baseband is rooted
Excellent instructions and nice to see linked files are still available. I came close to stumbling at #10. For other newbies, i’d paraphrase #10 as below:
10. From PC command prompt, make sure there are no errors, then reboot into recovery.
•adb reboot recovery
[note: If you have trouble with this step (ie it says operation not permitted or reboots back to Android rather than recovery), please substitute with, unplug usb cable, power down, simultaneously press and hold [Power] [Vol Dwn] [Home] until Recovery shows up, release buttons, plug in usb cable]